Thursday, June 5, 2014

An Introduction

Welcome to my blog!  In this, my first post, I will introduce myself and discuss what this blog is about.

About Me

I graduated from the University of Missouri School of Law in 2005.  For the past five years, I have served as Legislative Counsel for The Missouri Bar.  As a government relations lawyer, I work closely with the legislature to further the bar's legislative priorities.  The areas of law I have recently worked with include bankruptcy, probate & trust, family, criminal, and commercial law.

In addition to my legislative work, I serve as the coordinator for our Disaster Legal Services program and the statewide Legal Help in Disasters Committee.  In that role, I organize and provide oversight to volunteer lawyers in providing free legal assistance to victims of natural disasters in Missouri.  Most recently, we provided legal help to hundreds of victims of the Joplin tornado.   I am also the staff director of The Missouri Bar Young Lawyers Section.  In this role I am fortunate to have the chance to travel around the state and get to know young lawyers from a variety of backgrounds.  I learn about their struggles and successes.  This experience helps me maintain the perspective of a young lawyer while I continue to grow in the profession.  I also serve as a volunteer lawyer for the Samaritan Center in Jefferson City, taking on pro bono employment cases when time permits, and I am the instructor of the Lobbyist School for the Missouri Boys State program.

Before working in government relations, I served as a Staff Attorney at the Attorney General's Office, doing tobacco litigation in the Governmental Affairs Division.  In that role, I represented the State of Missouri and the Department of Revenue in civil litigation against tobacco product manufacturers, distributors and retailers.  Prior to that I was in private practice, representing clients in cases ranging from workers' compensation and medical malpractice to business and criminal defense.

About this Blog

In this blog, I plan to cover topics that will be relevant to a wide audience -- including lawyers, law students, and the public.  Some specific topics I already plan to cover include:

For the Public

  • How to find a lawyer
  • How to find pro bono representation
  • How to talk to your lawyer
  • Going pro se (representing yourself)
  • Small claims court
  • Testifying (depositions, in court, etc.)
  • Legal terminology simplified
  • Current legal issues simplified

For Lawyers and Law Students

  • Current issues facing young lawyers
  • Lawyers and technology
  • The Mobile Lawyer
  • Law practice management
  • Work-life balance for lawyers and other professionals
  • Public service careers
  • Pro bono service
  • Lawyers in media (Movies, Books, TV Shows)
  • Current legal issues
If you're a friend, colleague, fellow lawyer, random person who stumbled across this site -- please comment and tell me what you'd like to read about.  What kinds of questions do you have about being a lawyer, dealing with a lawyer or the justice system, or the law in general?
Feel free to comment, debate, suggest, or just say hello!

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to hearing from you!https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericmwilson

1 comment:

  1. “Benjamin Briel Lee was very professional at all times, keeping me aware of everything that was happening, If I had any questions he was always available to answer. This was my first home purchase, I didn’t know much about the loan process, he made it very easy to understand the things I had questions about. I really enjoyed working with him.”  
    He's a loan officer working with a group of investor's who are willing to fund any project or loan you any amount with a very low interest.Contact Benjamin Briel Lee E-Mail: lfdsloans@outlook.com  Whats-App Number: +1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete